perfect movie for flash.
this is a great example of the type of flash movies people should be submitting to the portal. flash was the perfect medium for this movie. all of the elements work very well. there were some impressive camera moves. the story was simple, but you told it so well. the animation felt a bit too loose in some areas (e.g. the doll underwater) but that's just me being picky. also, you definitely know how to use gradients in a visually pleasing manner. awesome job overall.
+ the animation was very nice, very smooth. top notch.
+ i loved the silhouetted army. nice touch.
* great ending with the llama. left me wanting more.
* i liked the text additions during the movie. spunked up the movie's personality.
- the goat run cycle felt a lil bit over used. it would've been cool if he did something else when he got hit with the objects other than just being mr. steel and taking 'em like they're nothing.
- i'm not sure if the intro text is really necessary. it's funny but kinda slows down the pace of the movie.
overall: i was impressed with the animation. you also brought a good, funny twist to the usual good vs evil battle; a goat and llamas. who can hate a fight between a goat and llamas??
i was actually contemplating whether or not he should do all this dodging action to avoid the attacks... but he's supposed to be immortal/invulnerable so I thought to myself "hmmm well what would I do if i were invincible like that"... and yea. but thanks for the tip
don't be afraid to take risks.
lemme get my suggestions in first before my good stuff.
- all or almost all of the shots in the movie had no perspective; they were either top, front, back, or side. working in flash, it's not the easiest thing to animate in perspective, but you gotta have at least some shots in perspective to make it more dynamic.
- i think the next step for you is to really focus on composition in the next episode. for example, in episode 2, an up shot of slash would've made his entrance a lot more dramatic. once again, it's all going back to perspective.
- in your profile, it says that you're 16. but it's never too early to start on a portfolio. start on some of your own ideas/stories. TMNT is awesome but you can't put that in your portfolio.
now to the good stuff...
- the graphics were awesome. the TMNT look like who they're supposed to be. shredder looked cool. i'm looking forward to the slash sequence.
- the voice acting was great. good job.
- the animation for the most part was pretty smooth. the rafael fight sequence was well done.
all in all, this movie is pretty good. just work on making it more dynamic. it feels like you're right on the edge of the diving board. take some risks in your next episode.
the use of gradients in your graphics is awesome. you really control it well. it's a style on its own. great job.
opposite of a trailer's goal
a trailer is supposed to grab the viewer's attention in a short period of time with quick images and exciting information. this trailer was moving waaaaaaaaaay too slowly. i could've gone to the bathroom for a pee break, come back, and the same text would've been on my screen. and there's only one scene with non-text graphics. i hope the movie isn't as slow as this trailer. just add a lot more graphical content to the trailer with some speed and your trailer will be more successful.
p.s. the matrix effect is quite overused. try something new.
* cute flash movie
* nice face drawings
* this really isn't a big issue and it's just me being picky, but once they fade to turquoise, there's a 1/2 a second when they're alpha'ed and the parts of their faces that are overlapping show a bit of a darker color than the rest of their faces. i don't know if you meant to do that, maybe to show that they're ghosts now and it's their souls or something, but it just looked weird. it's not that big of a problem, but just something that caught my eye.
* otherwise, sweet story.
Yeah, I just noticed that, too... I think it's cause they're overlapped. I can't really do much about it, cause their faces make a 'heart' shape, and I want to keep that effect.
Thanks for the great review :)
scary xmas indeed
that sound warning in the beginning had me thinking that there was gonna be some kind of crazy scary sound, so the whole time i was watching your movie, i had my ears covered. but, alas, my heart can rest.
good start. not bad for your first piece. it's just really short and i can't say a lot about it cuz there really wasn't that much content. i'd like to see how the ashes falling thing turns out and stuff. keep going.
great beginning, okay finish.
i really liked your style in your graphics/animation. and adding on to that, i loved how your flash movie started out. the story was very intruiging and kept me interested on what was going to happen next. i liked how the aliens tried to destroy earth, person by person (i didn't read the author's comments before watching the movie) and not just demolishing the planet as a whole. however, as the movie went on, it felt the story dragged on and lost its humor a bit. lastly, i don't want to sound old fashioned, but i think this flash movie would've been the exact same had you not used explicit language. it really seemed unnecessary. however, it was enjoyable to see cussing aliens. but overall, i did enjoy it.
- you did a great job sucking the viewer into guido's world and really making the viewer feel like he/she's in his world.
- great job with guido. not really ecstatic about his voice though lol.
- i love how you actually drew the NES elements into smooth characters and not just copy/paste sprites like typical NES-parodies do.
- keep pumpin' out more as this will be a big success.
- now i regret giving up my NES to my friend. i want to play these games again! it's just not the same with an emulator.
solid piece of work
this movie is just simply a solid piece of work. the level of professionalism that shows in this flash movie is one of the highest at newgrounds. the animation and graphics are clean and smooth. the backgrounds were beautiful. the quality of the sound of the voices were superb. one of the things i always focus on when watching an animation short are the voices, and the voices in this movie were just great. excellent job. it's a shame you didn't join newgrounds sooner.
newgrounds.com — Your #1 online entertainment & artist community! All your base are belong to us.